Re: Tech Writer seeking definition: Choosing v/s Selecting

Subject: Re: Tech Writer seeking definition: Choosing v/s Selecting
From: Kirstin Mercer <kirstin -at- INTERCON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 10:15:46 -0400

> I'm writing a tutorial and was wondering about the difference between
> choosing and selecting. A co-worker inferred that there is an official
> Microsoft definition of each. Any thoughts?

I don't know if Microsoft's definitions are the same as Apple's, but =
we write Macintosh documentation so we follow the Apple Style Guide. =
This is basically what it says about choosing and selecting:

Use "choose" for menu commands and "select" for icons, options in =
dialogs and list boxes, selections of text, graphic images, etc.

So basically, you would select something and then choose a menu command =
to act on your selection.

Hope this helps.

Kirstin Mercer
Technical Editor