Macs vs Pcs

Subject: Macs vs Pcs
From: Tracie Speer <traspeer -at- RS6000 -dot- CMP -dot- ILSTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 16:00:53 -0600

I'm interested in learning what type of computers technical writers use on
a regular basis. My background is primarily Mac based and I'm wondering if
I should develop my PC skills prior to graduation. Although I teach in a
computer-assisted classroom that uses PCs with windows, I create most of my
documentation in our English department's Mac lab. I'm confident with my
Mac skills but uncomfortable using the PCs (besides Word). I would
appreciate your input on this issue; your responses to the following
questions will help me to determine if I need to become competent using
both machine types.

What hardware and software do your companies provide?
What computer brand do you feel more comfortable using at home and at work?
What computer do tech writers use most often, Macs or PCs?
Is either the PC or the Mac more appropriate for creating on-line documentation?

Thanks
Tracie