Re: PostScript Interpreter for Macs

Subject: Re: PostScript Interpreter for Macs
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 15:58:00 -0600

I'm looking for a product that allows Mac users
to 1) display EPS images that do not have previews,
2) edit the displayed images, then 3) save the edited
images to EPS or other files. GoScript does not make
a Mac version of GSWin, and I've gotten contradictory
advice about Illustrator and PhotoShop.

Photoshop can view postscript files, but when it views them and edits them it
changes them from vector to bit mapped images, so it's probably not the tool
you're looking for. File sizes swell considerably when you use photoshop on an
Illustrator EPS file

Illustrator stores files in EPS, but EPS is hardly a standardized file format.
What one application saves as EPS, Illustrator cannot always open, and vice
versa. So the best I can tell you is that it's possible that Illustrator will do
what you're asking, but I'd test it thoroughly before committing to it.

Mac Ghostscript will display Postscript files with no editing. EPS Converter is
a shareware app which will convert some "bad" postscript formats to something
readable by illustrator. These last two I'm familiar with only by name, never
having used them, but both are available in the info-mac mirror at
mirrors.aol.com in the graphics utilities section.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124