Re: Serif Apologist

Subject: Re: Serif Apologist
From: Jeff Jansen <jsjansen -at- TELEPORT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 12:48:19 -0700

>On Thu, 13 Apr 1995 17:59:25 -0500
>Valerie Archambeau <varchamb -at- MIDWAY -dot- UCHICAGO -dot- EDU> wrote:
>Subject: Serif Apologist

>I am the first to admit that I am no expert in this area.
>However, I have read that serif fonts are easier to read because their
>little horizontal tails guide the eye of the reader across the horizontal
>axis of the page.

I remember reading about an investigation of numerous studies that allegedly
showed that Americans read text in serif fonts faster and with more
comprehension than text in sans serif fonts. The conclusion of the
investigation was that people actually read faster and more comprehension
when reading text in the same type of font with which they learned to read.
The only reason that the previous studies favored serif fonts was because
most of the subjects of the study learned to read using serif fonts.
Apparently, subsequent studies using subjects who learned to read with sans
serif fonts, showed that those subjects read better with sans serif fonts.
Jeff Jansen, Portland, OR, USA | Portland Energy Conservation, Inc.
"The music is not in the piano." | also d/b/a Modest Systems