Setting up a PC multimedia authoring system

Subject: Setting up a PC multimedia authoring system
From: Jennie Achtemichuk <jennie -dot- achtemichuk -at- MCCAW -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 13:49:04 -0700

I'm evaluating hardware to set up a PC multimedia authoring system for
educational/corporate titles. I have a 486DX2-66, 4MB RAM, 250MB hard drive,
standard
size SVGA monitor, and have looked to upgrade to 16 MB with a quad speed CDROM
kit
with sound card, speakers, and microphone.

Does anybody have suggestions for me on what brands are reliable, and what would
be a
good place to start in building an upgradable machine? Also, I've considered
simply
buying a new Pentium with everything bundled, including a 1GB hard drive and
larger
monitor but don't know what I'm going to need long term.

If you have experience in authoring multimedia titles, please pass along your
experience!

Jennie Achtemichuk
(206) 828-0229
Independent Consultant (Tech communication, instructional design)
Employment Chair, Seattle chapter, STC
Chair, Steering Committee, Visual Communicators PIC (in formation), STC