Re: Sexist cover letters?

Subject: Re: Sexist cover letters?
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 00:32:46 -0700

On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Arthur Comings wrote:

> What do you use as a greeting in the cover letters you enclose with
> your resumes? Nothing I've tried lately feels just right, including
> the following:

> Dear Sir:
> Dear Sir or Madam: [might be appropriate for Nevada]
> Dear HR Department:
> Dear HR Department Staff:
> Hello:

[clip]

While I *am* still in the process of looking for a job, I get the strong
feeling that you ought to send the coverletter and resume to a *person,*
regardless of whether or not the letter will be passed on to others. If
you find a specific person, you solve the "who" to send the letter to.

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
dcastro -at- hpsrdas -dot- sr -dot- hp -dot- com