Re: Re. Pros(e) and cons of ISO 9000

Subject: Re: Re. Pros(e) and cons of ISO 9000
From: Linda Anderson <lindaa -at- PC-SERV1 -dot- EMTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 08:09:06 -0700

Geoff,
I could not agree with you more. When my former employer made the decision
to seek ISO9000 certification, it created a mountain of paperwork for us
that nearly drove everyone crazy. We had to begin documenting procedures
that up till then had been passed down orally. For about a year, everyone
whined and complained. That was about three years ago.

Now, with all those procedures documented and in place, manufacturing is
accomplished in less time and the quality is higher. Within the
publications department, we were forced to look long and hard at our own
processes and discovered many places where things could fall through the
cracks. It cut our revisions in half, partly because the engineers had to
have their ducks in a row sooner, but also because we designed processes
to improve the review process to better ensure the accuracy of information
coming out of our department.

With all the up-front hassles of ISO9000, I think there are big payoffs
down the line.

Linda

In hearing, there is wisdom. In speaking, repentance.
Confucius

EMTEK Health Care Systems
Tempe, Arizona
USA