Re: Writer Material

Subject: Re: Writer Material
From: Stephen Schiller <smschill -at- SOFTART -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 10:46:51 -0500

>>I once heard a saying that it's easier to teach a good writer how to be
>>technical than it is to teach a technical person who lacks writing skills to
>>be a good writer.

>I disagree. But the "technical person" probably already has a job that
>pays pretty well, unlike the non-technical writer, so he isn't as
>motivated as the stereotypical starving Liberal Arts grad.
> -- Robert
>--
>Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
>4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215
> "Writing is like plumbing -- even people who know how to do it will
> pay top dollar to keep their hands clean."
I'll throw in my two cents on this one.

I think the statement should read:
It is easier for a writer to become a technical communicator than for a
technical person who lacks writing skills to become a technical communicator.

Good writers and good technical communicators share many of the same skills
and techniques. And technical communicators do not have to become techncial
professionals to write good technical texts.

On the other hand, the transition from technical professional (engineering
and software development) to technical communication involves the mastering
of a NEW set of skills skills and techniques.

With a background in writing, I didn't have to learn a new profession to
become a technical writer.

(BTW: I wasn't motivated to become a technical writer out of hunger, I was
motivated by the fact that I could get paid for doing something I enjoy.
What could be better!)

Stephen Schiller
smschill -at- softart -dot- com
(My opinions are my own, which is pretty amazing after 6 years in acedemia!)