Technical writing vs. engineering

Subject: Technical writing vs. engineering
From: "Chateau Wright (GE)" <cwright -at- SUNTAN -dot- ENG -dot- USF -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 13:18:55 -0400

Believe me, as an civil engineering student my technical writing class
was much more easier than any engineering class. To me, technical
writing is basically researching and reporting information in a specific
writing style. One doesn't even need a class, there are books that can
teach a person to become a "technical writer". To be an engineer, you
need so many fundamentals: you have to take Physics to know
Thermodynamics and you have to take Thermodynamics to know Fluid
Mechanics and you have to take Fluid Mechanics in order to take Water
Resource Engineering and so on.

I'm not trying to "downplay" technical writing but come on! It's not as
easy to teach engineering to a writer that to teach writing to an
engineer. Karla is wrong.

Chateau
cwright -at- suntan -dot- eng -dot- usf -dot- edu