Re: the vapors

Subject: Re: the vapors
From: Heilan Yvette Grimes <HEP2 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 03:01:00 -0400

>As far as I know, the "vapors" is a swooning spell. The victim of the
>swooning spell was usually a "delicate" female of the 19th century. They
>could be brought on by news of disaster or by someone saying a naughty word.

>Have you ever seen the 'Polaner All Fruit' commercial?? When the guy
>calls the stuff 'jelly' the stuffy matron at the end of the table gets a
>slight case of the "vapors".

The woman (and sometimes men) who suffered from the vapors had fainting
spells and would be brought out of the swoon by the vapors of a cracked vial
smelling salts.

It eventually came to be thought that many of these swooning spells were
brought on by hot days and women in tight corsets. (Which doesn't account for
the men who suffered.) But it was considered a female medical affliction.

--Yvette