Vapors

Subject: Vapors
From: David Dvorkin <ddvorkin -at- KAPRE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 08:43:00 +0700

Alex:
> In reference to the "Vapors". The term "Vapors" was originally a Southern
> euphemism meaning flatulence. The term then changed in the Victorian era
> to mean fainting or a dizzy spell. Since the Antebellum era predates the
> Victorian era by 50 years the original meaning is flatulence, or a Southern
> Lady's way of showing good manners.

Now, this is really getting silly.

According to my dictionary, the term originated with the idea that the
stomach produces vapors that rise to, and affect, the brain. Nothing to
do with euphemisms for flatulence.

And as for the Antebellum South predating the Victorian era by 50 years --
sheesh, Alex, read a history book! Even a brief, Cliffs-Notes treatment
of the 19th century will do.