Vapors & Victoria

Subject: Vapors & Victoria
From: David Dvorkin <ddvorkin -at- KAPRE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 09:03:54 +0700

Alex wrote:
> The Antebellum(meaning "prewar", notable pre American Civil War) era
> was(approx.)1830-1860(1865 depending on how you look at it), hence the term,
> Antebellum Home, such as one built in the 1830's. I would suggest you find a
> better history book. :-)

Yes, Alex, and Victoria reigned from 1837 to 1901. Given that the attitudes
we call Victorian predated Victoria and were not in fact imposed by her, that
makes 1837 the latest date one can reasonably assign to the beginning of the
Victorian era. Therefore it makes no sense to say that the antebellum
period predated the Victorian era by 50 years.

David