Vapors

Subject: Vapors
From: Nancy Demeter <NFDEMETER -at- DELPHI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 20:53:48 -0400

According to Webster's Third International Dictionary:

vapors a *archaic* : exhalations of bodiy organs (as the stomach) held to
affect the physical or mental condition b : a depressed or hysterical
nervous condition formerly held to be caused by bodily exhalations <neurotic
women subject to the vapors> (That example really gets my dander up!) <had
a fit of the vapors after breakfast>

Seems that "vapors" refer(s) (not sure about verb-subject agreement here
--any thoughts?) to a number of "gaseous" afflictions, which, I suppose,
could result in loss of consciousness if the sufferer is prone to fainting
(very pun-y).

Vapors, then, appear(s) to be the cause of eructation, flatulence, *and*
fainting (sorry about the $50 words there, but I didn't want to write
belching, f--ting, and fainting).

Cheers!

Nancy Ford Demeter, Writer/Editor
Jackson, Michigan