Comma

Subject: Comma
From: Nancy Demeter <NFDEMETER -at- DELPHI -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 May 1995 19:33:44 -0400

Charles De Saro asked:

>Which sentence is correct, relative to the comma:

>The Tech Writer was bright, articulate, knowledgeable, and computer literate.
or
>The Tech Writer was bright, articulate, knowledgeable and computer literate.

Charles:

I've been taught that both are correct, as long as you are consistent
throughout a document

However

IMO the first example is the most correct. Here is the logic:

1. Mother bequeathed $1 million to Sarah, Joe, and Jane, to share equally.
[Sarah, Joe, and Jane each get approx. 33.3%]

2. Mother bequeathed $1 million to Sarah, Joe and Jane, to share equally.
[Sarah gets 50%; Joe and Jane each get 25%].

The omission of a comma has rather costly consequences (for Joe and Jane).

Best,

Nancy Ford Demeter, Writer/Editor
Jackson, Michigan
nfdemeter -at- delphi -dot- com