Re: Technical Writing Periodicals?

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Periodicals?
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 11:11:25 -0600

On Wed, 3 May 1995, Elaine M. Haupt wrote:

> Would you recommend any periodicals to your fellow Tech Writers?

Herewith are a few I like and would recommend:

Name: Technique
Audience: For those interested in typography and other design issues
Strengths: Good source of design inspiration, typography tips,
resources for DTP--fonts, clip art, tips for working with
software, etc.
Weaknesses: Sometimes almost too basic.
Frequency: Bi-monthly
Price: $US$39
Available from: Technique Subscriptions
PO Box 9164
Hyattsville, MD 20781-9164

Name: Before&After: How to design cool stuff
Audience: For those interested in typography and other design issues
Strengths: Good design tips for working with type and graphics
No ads
Weaknesses: Since most of the tips for designing graphics apply to
Freehand, you may find it necessary to experiment to
accomplish similar results if you use other software.
I have had fairly good luck in this so far.
Frequency: Bi-monthly
Price: $US36
Available from: Before&After
PO Box 418252
Sacramento, CA 95841-9811

I also like to read through periodicals such as PC Magazine or Byte to
see what the latest developments in software/hardware are.

> The format of the entries in the Resource Guide will be:

> Name: <of the periodical>
> Audience: <the periodical addresses>
> Strengths: <why you like it>
> Weaknesses:<if any>
> Frequency: <weekly, bi-weekly, monthly ...>
> Price: <$US>
> Available from: <publisher's name, address, phone, etc.>

> Any contributions you have for the list are greatly appreciated.

> Elaine Haupt
> elaine -at- xicor -dot- com

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu