FW: Tying Help into PowerBuilder Apps

Subject: FW: Tying Help into PowerBuilder Apps
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 16:18:00 PDT

Dear Techwhirlers:

I also posted this message to the WINHLP list, so I apologize for the
duplication.

Hoo, boy. We have been busily creating .hlp files using Robohelp in the
hopes of tying them into the applications our developers are creating with
PowerBuilder. This is our second go-around and the first rollout of the
products we are creating went out without context sensitive help. It seems
that the only way our developers can figure to tie in our help topics
involves using the search keywords rather than the context strings or
context numbers.

I did ask this question on the PowerBuilder group on Usenet a couple of
months ago and they mentioned using TopicIDs in PowerBuilder, but this does
not seem to answer the question for our developers. I also suggested
putting the .hh file Robohelp creates in the same directory as the .hlp they
are hooking up to, and that did not work. The upshot is that the developer
who was working on validating the help design threw the whole thing back in
the Tech Writing Team's lap.

Is there anyone out there who has experience in tying in field-level help
with PowerBuilder apps? Can we tie in topics that do not have Search
keywords (i.e., popups, such as we write for field-level help)? Is it
impossible? How does one use the Topic option in PowerBuilder to tie in
Help? What step(s) might we be missing?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Rose Wilcox
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com