Re: Comma Usage

Subject: Re: Comma Usage
From: Heli Roosild <HeliR -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 10:20:00 PDT

I agree with Kelly. While in most cases, the meaning is clear with or
without the last comma, it can be critical to clarity in others. So I
always use it.

--Heli
=======================
Heli L. Roosild
helir -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Comma Usage
Date: Friday, May 05, 1995 1:46PM

<snip> However, I have a strong opinion on this matter. I much
prefer using the last comma because it avoids all confusion and I see
no reason *not* to put it in.

e.g., I had a hot dog, salad, pork, and beans.
I had a hot dog, salad, pork and beans.

Now what do they mean? Did they have a porkchop and some beans or
"pork and beans". There are many times I have been a little confused
when the last comma is omitted. This certainly isn't the only
instance!

I'm curious why many people omit the last comma!

-Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- liebert -dot- com
Columbus, OH