Lurking No More

Subject: Lurking No More
From: George Hayhoe <GFHayhoe -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 13:08:12 -0400

Hello again, fellow TECHWR-Lers. I've been lurking since returning from the
STC Annual Conference and getting my new business off the ground, but the
recent thread about sexual harassment has drawn me out.

Such harassment is a significant problem both in the workplace and in other
social settings. It's important for all of us--men and women--to recognize it
and deal with it constructively, especially in a profession with such a large
proportion of members who historically have been the target of that kind of
behavior.

STC chapter program committee managers might explore bringing in a local
human resources expert to address this topic. It's a fascinating and complex
issue, one where we communicators can make an important contribution in our
companies and in society.

That said, let's be careful before leveling charges at one another. And more
importantly, let's think twice before making belittling comments about one
another, whether they're sexually harassing or not.

--George Hayhoe (GFHayhoe -at- aol -dot- com)