Re: Typeover Mode

Subject: Re: Typeover Mode
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 10:25:57 IDT

A hundred years ago, when I was using a 8088 chip and an IBM clone,

** Indeed, speaking as The Man From Bedrock, I recall that when the
first word processors were marketed-- I'm talking pre-1980-- by
no means all users and manufacturers agreed that Insert mode was
the intuitive default mode. After all, on a blackboard or paper,
if you write where something has already been written, the rest of
the text does not budge.

Once you're using proportional fonts on screen, though, overwrite mode
is less intuitive because your new letters don't necessarily
overwrite your old letters one for one.

Mark L. Levinsaurus
mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il