Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 13 May 1995 to 14 May 1995

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 13 May 1995 to 14 May 1995
From: Billie Wahlstrom <bwahlstr -at- MAILBOX -dot- MAIL -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 09:22:59 CDT

Colleagues,
As an STC teacher who spends a lot of time looking at liability issues and
technical communication, I appreciate the discussion of the McDonald's case done
by Bob Morrisette. As for the desparaging comments made by "Sabu". . .

> You must be a lawyer. The reason the jury awarded a huge amount to
> the lady was because McDonald's is a famous company with $billions
> in sales. If the lady had sued Joe's Drive-In for the same thing,
> she would not receive anything.

> Why are we discussing this in a tech writer's list?

> Sabu
> writer -at- sabu

I suggest that he/she look at ISO and ANSI standards, product liablity laws and
their relation to technical communication, and the number of people killed or
seriously injured each year because of faulty products and their instructions
before asking what a discussion like this is doing on the tech writer list.
Billie Wahlstrom

Billie Wahlstrom
Professor and Head
Department of Rhetoric
University of Minnesota
St. Paul, MN 55108
Telephone: 612.624.7750
Department home page: http://rhetoric.agoff.umn.edu/
Home of the Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Technical Communication