Re: French and &

Subject: Re: French and &
From: Fionnuala Broughan <FB -at- POINTDUBLIN -dot- CCMAIL -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 06:44:13 EDT

Greetings from the western edge of Europe.

I've been lurking here for a while. Interesting list!

While I have lots of comments on tech writers vs engineers, innate vs
learned skills and the like, some of those topics have been done to
death, and I imagine we're all glad to see the back of them. Here are
one or two comments on recent topics

Vincent replied to Melissa that "technical writer" in French is:

***redacteur technique***

However, I think Melissa should probably call herself:

***une redactrice technique***.

Or is *redacteur* like *geologue* (geologist; I used to be one!) and
remains in its masculine form, regardless of the person it's
describing?

While all you North Americans debate about what to call the # sign and
when to include it with numbers, it might be interesting to remember
that there are a lot of places in the world where # does NOT mean
number. For example, in Ireland and the UK, we generally use No.
(which I think comes from the French *numero*). What do you use in Oz,
all you writers down there?

I LOVE the one-word oxymoron discussion, my favourite is definitely
"monosyllabic"

That's it.

Fionnuala Broughan

fb -at- pointdublin -dot- ccmail -dot- compuserve -dot- com