Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 16 May 1995 to 17 May 1995

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 16 May 1995 to 17 May 1995
From: JONG -at- ATHENA -dot- CREDTECH -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 10:14:07 -0400

Sheryl Curtis asked how to evaluate the readability of translated material
before and after translation. I would agree with the comments about
algorithmic readability indexes (though I have somewhat more confidence
in the basis and the accuracy of the numbers). I would be willing to say
that the algorithm can be just as accurate in French, assuming you have
an authoritative set of parameters you can apply for French.

However, the best way to gauge readability is the hard way: test subjects
drawn from the intended audience to see how well they can read the material.
(Flesch himself used that method to establish his readability index in
the first place.)

-- Steve