Re: Re. Two spaces vs. one after periods

Subject: Re: Re. Two spaces vs. one after periods
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 15:51:31 EDT

On Wed, 24 May 1995 12:09:59 LCL you wrote:

> - Conclusion: Anyone willing to do research to justify SS? How about
> our other typographic rules of thumb? As editors, we're here to help
> our readers, not blindly assume.

All the lessons and books we used in the typing courses I took (for all the
good the typing portions themselves did me) said to use double-spacing after
the punctuation at the end of a sentence. There were a few other rare
instances, mostly involving colons, that I can't recall offhand.

As for legibility, I've done a fair bit of HTML design and noticed that most
browsers will shrink anything >1 space down to just one anyway. It DOES make
a difference in reading, at least for me. Double-spacing defintely does help
to clarify the end of a sentence.

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446