"due to" issue

Subject: "due to" issue
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 10:54:16 PST

Mark is right; "due" shouldn't be used when it is not modifying a
noun. This reminds me of a complaint I've had for years about
incorrect contructions that we *have* to use in our documentation even
though we know it's wrong. For instance, the company you work for
insists you use a boiler-plate paragraph throughout its user guide
that contains some incorrect constructions. You want to rewrite it
but, even though that's why they hired you, they won't let you.
"That's the way we've always done it," they say or something similar.
So when you interview with other prospective employers, do you show
them this as an example of your work? I sure don't.

I've been in this predicament for years. I've found that regardless
of where I work, there's always that question, do I keep this as an
example of *my* work even though it contains things I wouldn't have
written if I had had a choice? Or if I was an editor, editing someone
else's writing, sometimes that didn't really show *my* work, either.

Sure, I've listened to suggestions that I create something on my own
to show off. Come on; in the real world that just doesn't work when
you've been a tech writer and editor for 15 years unless, maybe,
you're looking for a DTP job. I even found, after I graduated from
college, that didn't usually work. They didn't care. It was just a
kind of cute thing to do.

Actually, even though I guess it sounds like it, I'm not looking for
advice. Just spouting off. I've found very good jobs with companies
that didn't even bother to look at writing samples, just considered my
resume and spoke with my references.

:-)
Beth Vollbach
San Diego, CA