Re: Origin of phonetic alphabet

Subject: Re: Origin of phonetic alphabet
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 08:32:25 MST

John Renish wrote-->

> Here are the correct pronunciations:
> Kay bek' (although most Americans say Que bek')

I know the pronunciation of Quebec is often debated, but if it
is not pronounced kwa-bek', how then is it phonetic? Kay-bek' is
no phonetically different than kee'-lo (as far as the sound of
the initial consonant).

Maybe "Quebec" is just a poor choice to represent Q in a
phonetic alphabet. Perhaps a word like "quality," "question,"
or "queen" would be a better choice.

If someone were relaying information to me and said "al'-fa,
lee'-ma, kay-bec'", Q would not be the letter that comes to my
mind with that pronunciation.

Just my observation.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=