Incidental Comment

Subject: Incidental Comment
From: Scott Goodhue <goodhue -at- SMTPGATE -dot- DISCLOSURE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 09:10:26 EST

I have yet to see a statement that flatly says, "Do not use the word
-incidence- as anything other than a singular noun." By the same
token, I cannot recall having heard of the "negligences" of a
defendant. I did, however, look around and found the words incidence
and incidents coupled together in a listing of examples of common
misspellings in the book, "Spell It Right". C'mon, one's plural, the
other isn't, right? Well... we don't see the words incidence and
incident together as misspellings.

Let's say you were talking about the crime rates for three cities. I'm
assuming that incidence is synonymous with rate and incidences with
rates:

The rate of crime for the three cities was 2%. (An aggregate rate).
The rates of crime for the three cities were 2%, 3% and 1.5%.
(Separate rates)

Therefore:

The incidence of crime for the three cities was 2%.
The incidences of crime for the three cities were 2%, 3% and 1.5%.

Now, you could argue that, in agreement with the substitution of rate
with incidence as far as meaning, it does not necessarily reason that
the plural rates automatically makes the plural incidences. And you
might be compelled to rework the last sentence in the examples to
read; "The incidence of crime for the three cities was 2%, 3% and 1.5%
respectively," especially because the word "incidences" simply sounds
wrong, so why not avoid it?

Now I've encountered the rule that it's okay to use effect as a noun
but not affect, yet it is correct to say, "Bonds are inversely
affected by changes in interest incidences"?