Re: figures/illustrations

Subject: Re: figures/illustrations
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 13:33:54 CDT

> Kevin Sporleder <kevinsp -at- crt -dot- com> wrote:

> > > Our group has been wondering if it is most common to number all
> > > graphics or to number just the important ones.

> Stephen P. Victor <svictor -at- lgc -dot- com> responded:

> > Do you provide a list of figures for users to refer to? If not,
> > there's no reason to number figures at all.

> Wellll, not necessarily. It's perfectly reasonable to refer to
> "figure 5 on the previous page" or whatever, even if you don't provide
> a list of figures.

> Kelly K. Hoffman Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division, Nashua, NH
> kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com "Reading the manual is admitting defeat."

I agree. What I should have written is that unless you use the figure numbers as
some sort of reference tool, they are unnecessary. Thanks for the
clarification. :)

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
15150 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77009 USA