Re: Definately and English teachers...

Subject: Re: Definately and English teachers...
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 17:22:45 EDT

On Tue, 6 Jun 1995 16:16:17 -400 you wrote:

>The problem was, what I was trying to find out got
>twisted around the wrong way because of her incorrect use of terms and I am
>fairly computer literate. If documentation is written this way, it's worse
>than usual!!!

I just helped a friend of mine set up her computer today. She didn't know
much about it other than that it had three components: the monitor, the
keyboard, and the hard drive (the big box that everything plugs into).

Fortunately, we started off the afternoon with her knowing that I was far more
technically literate than she, and she thus believed me implicitly when I took
the cover off the big beige box and pointed out how little of the space was
actually consumed by the "hard drive" (well, okay, it was actually a fair bit
of space, this machine being a PS/2 Model 30 with a first-generation IDE drive
:-).

>It's also important for those who may be originally from another country and
>emmigrated here. English as a second language complicated by misspellings can
>be nearly impossible. My boyfriend (who has been in the States for 12 yrs and
>speaking English for much longer than that) still has trouble if words are
>misspelled. There are many professionals in the workforce today who were not
>born and raised here.

The majority of hardware and software manuals that I come across complicate
this even further... so many of them appear to have been translated by
computer from the original Japanese or something, with little or no subsequent
editing. Here's a real gem from a motherboard manual I have laying about (all
text exactly as it appears in print):

"The PRECISION 386 III Mother Board is a 386-based IBM PC/AT<tm> compatible
system board. It is specially use the OPTI HiD/386 AT CHIPSET, the HiD/386
Chipset consists of the 82C381-B and 82C382-B. Together, they are designed to
implement high performance, highly integrated PRECISIONS 386 AT personal
computer running 25MHz."

Huh? :-)

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446