Re: PROPOSAL: alt.winhelp and alt.winhelp.win95

Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: alt.winhelp and alt.winhelp.win95
From: Paul <prb1001 -at- HERMES -dot- CAM -dot- AC -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 02:43:55 +0100

In article <3r9cua$3ac -at- amoeba -dot- micro -dot- org>, titanide -at- micro -dot- org (Patrick
O'Connell) wrote:

> I propose the creation of alt.winhelp, to replace the newsgroup
> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.winhelp, whose subject is the authoring of
> online help for the Microsoft Windows environment ("Windows Help
> authoring). The new newsgroup would have the same subject. I have three
> reasons for proposing this change:

> 1) The name of the current newsgroup is just too *%^$! long!
> 2) The group is in too specific a hierarchy given that (from what I have
> seen) most Windows Help authoring is the domain of technical writers
> rather than programmers.
> 3) To create subgroups of c.o.ms-w.p.winhelp would result in groupnames
> even more unwieldy and more difficult to remember.

> I further propose the creation of alt.winhelp.win95, to be used for the
> discussion of issues relating specifically to authoring online help for
> the Microsoft Windows 95 environment.

> Feedback on these ideas should be directed to Patrick O'Connell, at:

> titanide -at- micro -dot- org

> If no opposition is voiced within seven after the posting of this
> article, I will create alt.winhelp and alt.winhelp.win95 as described above.
> I am open to the idea, BTW, of having a more generic family of groups
> that include help authoring for other platforms (e.g.,
> alt.helpauth.winhelp; alt.helpauth.win95; alt.helpauth.os2; et al.) and
> desire feedback on this idea as well.

> Thanks
> Pat O'Connell
> Technical writer / online help author
> titanide -at- micro -dot- org

Paul :)

--
Paul Baker, 15 Mill Gate, Harrogate, N Yorks, HG1 3DD, UK
Tel +44 1423 501603

"Children of the land, love is still the answer, take my hand.
Vision fades, a voice I hear. Listen to the mad man."