Re: Contract writing

Subject: Re: Contract writing
From: Karen Steele <Kstle -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:45:16 -0400

Contract writing is a wonderful alternative to full time corporate life. You
can work the way you want to, as long as your client wants it, too.
I have worked both as an employee of a "consulting" firm and as an
independent (or sub-contractor) for the client. I have worked from my home
office in both cases, though not always.
If you become an independent (1099 tax status), you can work from home,
because one of the IRS tests for whether you are independent or an employee
is that the client cannot determine the number of hours you work or direct
your place of work. They can, however, provide you with work space to be
used "while on site".
For more information about this, email me offline, or join the C&IC
(Contracting & Independent Consulting) PIC (Professional Interest Committee)
of STC. We address all the issues you have asked about on a regular basis in
our newletter.
Working from home is a reality today. Many folks are doing it & more will be
doing it as we head towards the turn of the century. You can do it too, if
that is your goal.
Good luck!
Karen Steele
C&IC PIC Manager