Students, Teachers, and Language Skills

Subject: Students, Teachers, and Language Skills
From: Karyl Severson <karyl -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 14:40:00 -0700

Dear Communicators -

I've been watching this teacher-student-language skill thread with
great interest, and during one of my replies to a colleague on the
list, realized that formal education in language has been mandated
for everyone (in the USA at least) for less than 100 years.

My involvement with language is intuitive and started when I was very
young. But I do not have the same skill or intuitive knowledge of
athletics, or physics. Language skills require a certain kind of
thought process (to quote Geoff in Canada), whereas mathematics or
athletics require other kinds. Recognizing that I'm good at something
is important, but it doesn't mean that I'm any MORE important or less
important than a farmer who is good at growing his crops, or than
a physicist who theorizes about the origins of the world.

I'd like to see us become helpers of those who are not as skilled
in language as we are, instead of "police" who pounce on mistakes.
And even some technical communicators may be good at analysis, at
figuring out systems, and still not be good spellers. My guess is
that some of the best published writers in the world owe a whole lot
to the editors of their books!

So now that I've decided I'm good at something, I think I'll go back
to doing it!

Cheers!

Karyl

--