Re. moving docs entirely online?

Subject: Re. moving docs entirely online?
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 11:01:52 LCL

digestion) who asked how to justify retaining paper documentation, I'd
provide the following rebuttals:
- A few posters noted that you can't read online info. in the bathroom
(unless you're a real wirehead and have LCD screens right above the
toilet paper). You also can't read it while commuting; based on
personal experience, and the number of manuals I've seen being read on
subways, trains and airplanes, this is significant.
- There are sometimes significant hardware and/or network requirements
for online help.
- Most online help can't be displayed on-screen at the same time as
the application it refers to; this can be due to deficiencies in the
software or inadequate hardware (e.g., my 14" VGA monitor has no
room). Thus, you have to toggle back and forth between the help and
the software, and you may also have to write down a summary of the
list of steps in a solution so you can follow the steps when you
return to the original software that posed the problem.

You could probably prove your point by sitting down with the engineer
and asking him to work in some software with online help for half an
hour. Push him to try new things he hasn't tried before. But take away
the printed manual and get him to rely solely on the online help and
see how he feels after half an hour.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.