Re. Salary history

Subject: Re. Salary history
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 15:10:30 LCL

One interviewer explained to me that the reason for requesting a
salary history was not to determine how little you could pay someone,
but rather to estimate their career progression. The philosophy seems
to have been that if you were any good, you'd show continuous salary
growth over the years (e.g, as you assumed progressively more
responsible positions or as you got performance-based raises). Not a
good rationale, in my experience: I've twice left good jobs and taken
a pay cut to move somewhere more interesting or with more of a future,
and since I've topped out at my new job (in my salary range) and don't
really want to move any higher, what would this say about me? As I
say, not a good metric by any stretch of the imagination.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.