Re: Re. Salary history

Subject: Re: Re. Salary history
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 11:16:00 PDT

Another note on salary requirement/history.... Some months ago a company
advertised a position that suited me to a T. I had been happy in my
contract, but I thought it sounded like a very interesting job so I sent in
my resume, but I didn't know what to say for salary requirement. I had been
reading some high figures on the winhlp list, so I figured I'd try for a
high-end salary.

I got the polite kiss-off letter (as opposed to the curt kiss-off letter).
So a few months later they advertised the same position again. This time I
resent my resume without stating a salary requirement. I liked the job,
although I am happy on contract, I would've considered it. Again I got a
kiss-off letter. If I got more of these I would suspect it was my
qualifications, but it's not. I usually only get these from 1) places that
want to pay low, and 2) contracting agencies that don't usually find tech
writing jobs.

I guess the other reason could be my contracting history.... I have been
eliminated from consideration from permanent jobs before because I change
jobs every one or two years.

Anyway, the company is advertising again.... Should I apply? Or not apply?
Send a middle-sized salary requirement? Call the people I know who work
there and explain the situation and feel them out about salary range? Call
the people I know who work there and find out if it is some other factor
that got my resume rejected?

I'm leaning towards ignoring the company, because I think they pay low and I
know I'll find employment again when this contract runs out. The job
sounded fun, but then again, lots of jobs "sound" fun.... What would you
do?

Rose A. (the 'A' is for applicant) Wilcox
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
"His was not a true imagination, you know: He made it all up."
HVG Dyson (on his friend, JRR Tolkien)