Re: Re. Salary history

Subject: Re: Re. Salary history
From: "Dave L. Meek's User Account" <dave -at- ROGUE -dot- DISC-SYNERGY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 13:19:41 -0700

Rose Wilcox wrote:

>Anyway, the company is advertising again.... Should I apply? Or not apply?
> Send a middle-sized salary requirement? Call the people I know who work
>there and explain the situation and feel them out about salary range? Call
>the people I know who work there and find out if it is some other factor
>that got my resume rejected?

Some companies conduct salary surveys in this manner; they're not
really interested in hiring anyone. I'm not certain that
practice is legal; if not, it would still be hard to prove.

Because you have points-of-contact inside the company, I'd start asking
them some questions about the job and the company's hiring policies.
You might also try leaving your salary requirement "open." There
are a whole host of other compensation factors besides
money--what they lack in pay may be balanced by benefits,
vacation, etc.
Dave Meek