Re: Converting Publications to Web Pages

Subject: Re: Converting Publications to Web Pages
From: burgamw1 <burgamw1 -at- TEOMAIL -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 11:26:15 EST

Kathryn E. Leventhal-Arnold asked me what tools I used to convert a long
document to html and gif files to be placed on the Web inside our firewall.

We work on Macintosh computers and produce our documents in Pagemaker, usually
from MS Word files. The document had a simple, straightforward format. We
converted the Pagemaker files back to MS Word and saved them as text files.
After experimenting with a couple of freeware html conversion programs, we found
that the easiest and fastest way to code the document was simply to key the
codes in. Before the document was placed on the Web, I could launch the html
source files onto Netscape on my Mac to check the "published" version and, thus,
the coding.

The figures were originally done in Freehand. The illustrator put them into
Photoshop and saved them as gif files. (We were all learning, and this was the
only way she could figure out how to convert them to gif files. Now we use a
freeware gif converter.)

It was a rather kludgy way of producing the Web version, but it worked and it
didn't take that much time.

Murrie Burgan, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
murrie -dot- burgan -at- jhuapl -dot- edu