Re: Word Problems

Subject: Re: Word Problems
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 11:51:54 PDT

On Thu, 22 Jun 1995 16:27:44 EST you wrote:

> A debate need not begin. I am writing this for the sole purpose of
> warning tech writers who are deciding what to use. I realize there are
> a few people who actually like the software, but even they must admit
> that there are *many* problems with it.

I could go into depth on my personal opinions of Microsoft and Word itself
(the bugridden behemoth that it is), but that would be pointless.

What IS important to remember is that Word is a WORD PROCESSOR. A very
heavily featured word processor, to be sure, but at its core, just a word
processor. A text editor on a LOT of steroids.

I expect that what you, and most people here, need and use is a true desktop
publishing (DTP) or layout application, such as FramMaker, Quark XPress, or
Aldus PageMaker.

The right tool for the job, in other words.

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446