Grammar and gender Q

Subject: Grammar and gender Q
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:33:30 PDT

Richard Anderson writes:

I want to say, "To view a user's group and rights, highlight their name;
their individual information will appear in the Group and Rights portions
of the window." But using "their" with "a user" is bad grammar.

(chop)

Old problem. No solution. Suggestions?
_____________________________

Dick responds:

It's easy when it aint your own text.

I humbly suggest you get away from gender totally:

"To view a user's group and rights, highlight the user's name;
the individual user's information will appear in the Group and Rights portions
of the window."

"To view a user's group and rights, highlight the user name;
the individual user information will appear in the Group and Rights portions
of the window."

"To view user group and user rights, highlight the user name;
the information will appear in the Group and Rights portions
of the window."

YOU should be having as much fun as I am!

Dick Dimock Artfully Senior Tech Writer
AT&T Global Information Solutions
El Segundo, CA 4.5 Richter this AM! Gooooood Morning LOS ANGELES!!!
Jump up, run around, go back to bed.
Ever have the earth MOVE for you?