comics

Subject: comics
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 12:47:22 PDT

Once upon a time, in a computer company far,
far away, I did a comic book user's guide.

1973, it was. I was inspired by the "PS
Prevenive Maintenance Monthly" by the U.S. Army
(mentioned in other posts to this thread).

I had this Gee Whiz Remote Batch Terminal to
document, including a user's guide. After asking
all the experts to define the user audience,
I had it nailed to the secretarial-receptionist
level.

On to the Boss, to whom I sold my idea of a
heavily illustrated, low reading level, often
humorous op guide. I even used the "Preventive
Maintenance Monthly" to help pitch my idea.

He swallowed it.

In those days, at that company, we had "teams".
One illustrator, one manuscript typist, and one
writer. The illustrator and typist took in work
from others, but primarily supported the writer.
My, that was good living!

We three shared one large office, and had become
very close-knit. The seed of this "comic" op guide
fell into fertile soil, and grew to fruition.

Each page had a cartoon or photo and a column of text.
I remember one page instructing the air filter
cleaning had a cartoon of a woman (((..oink-70's...))))
over a washtub clipping a clean filter to a
clothesline.

The text was experimentally low level, for example:
"... Every big wheel in the building is going to want
to play with your machine! Sell tickets!"

((( It seemed like a good idea at the time...sigh...)))

The first draft went for review, and the proud
creators waited for the response.

It didn't take long.

The poor thing came dragging back so bloody and so full
of bullet holes that there was barely anything left for
the staples to hold together!

The engineers and programmers felt their efforts had
been defiled! Marketing blew a gasket!

The Boss had a hunted look.

The Team wisely adopted the same look.

We ah... raised the reading level, dropped the cartoons,
oriented to the programmer user rather than the
secretary, and dashed out a new, more technical version.
Fast. That version flew and survived to see print. I think
I had everyone so startled that ANYTHING would have been
approved.

The illustrator and I both carry copies of that book in
our portfolios, as an example of how low we can go.

The moral of this tale, if there is one, is that there
are several audiences to please:

- Technical Experts
- Marketing :) Experts
- Editors
- Readers

The book has to get through the initial filters in order
to please the final audience.

There is also a problem with humor that I had unknowingly
stumbled against. Advertising people know it well.

It's only funny the first time.

So maybe use humor in a read-once-then-toss kind of document.
Otherwise, use it very sparingly.

I wonder why it is only funny once?

Having lots of fun, thank you!

Dick Dimock, Artfully Senior TW
AT&T GIS
El Segundo, CA overlooking LA's Airport, and the deep blue sea.