comics - U.S. Army

Subject: comics - U.S. Army
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 10:53:15 PDT

Back in the seventies, the U.S. Army put out a series
of "comic" books on equipment maintenance.

Illustrated by one of the MAD magazine artists, the
4-color book was loaded with tips on everything from
how to torque the nuts on a helicopter rotor to
how to order the right gasket for a jeep radiator.
They used a 5"x7" page, if memory serves.

Burly sergeants, lovely ladies, and humor throughout
made this book an extremely effective communication
tool.

I latched onto one early in my tech writing career, and
have carried it in my collection ever since. I consider
it a stellar example of technical communication.

I have no idea how often these were published, nor if
they are still used. The expense must have been astronomic,
using those artists.

Does anyone know if the military still uses them or
something like them?

Dick Dimock, Artfully Senior Tech Writer
AT&T Global Information Solutions
El Segundo, CA Of making many books
there is no end...
Eccl 12:12