Re: Multilingual User Guides (a little long)

Subject: Re: Multilingual User Guides (a little long)
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 21:23:20 -0700

Larry Grinnell wrote:

<snip>

> The fundamental problem is that the folks
> in the factory seem incapable of reading a simple part number on the
> back of a manual to ensure the correct one is shipped with the product.

You've said it all! The problem is neither a marketing nor a technical
writing one; it's a production problem. If manufacturing cannot package the
hardware and its manual in the proper language, what assurance is there that
other errors aren't being made? In fact, they probably are.

When I was performing quality assurance at a supplier's plant, I randomly
selected three boxes from more than 100. The part number and revision letter
were stamped on the hardware and on the outside of the box. None of the three
I checked were correct. I refused to examine any more until the supplier had
opened and verified all of them.

Sue Ellen Adkins
sea -at- netcom -dot- com