Re: Multilingual User Guides (a little long)

Subject: Re: Multilingual User Guides (a little long)
From: Barb Miller <millerb -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 08:39:38 MDT

Larry asks:

"I'm looking for any information some of you might be able to share about the
pros and cons of combining multiple languages into a consumer product (in this
case, radio pagers) operating instructions manual."

The new TV and VCR I just purchased had multiple languages in its installation
and instruction manuals. It was a little confusing to me thumbing thru because
the illustrations were the same--just the language was different. But once I
found the English instructions, it wasn't bad. Maybe if there was color coding
or something else to differentiate the different sections . . .

It also depends on how large the manual would be when you add the languages. The
ones I had were no more than 32 pages in an 8-1/2 by 11 size.

Barb Miller
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
millerb -at- tcplink -dot- nrel -dot- gov