Re: Peer Reviews

Subject: Re: Peer Reviews
From: Bonni Graham <bonnig -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 21:22:48 -0700

Dick,

Us? OPINIONS? Nah...

Actually, I have nothing but positive results fromusing the peer
review. I'm sure Sue Gallagher (one of the writers who was a "peer")
will chime in onthis,too. When we worked together to produce a doc set
for a Smalltalk development system, peer review was the ONLY way we
came up with of making sure allthe writing sounded like it was produced
by a single entity -- US. Of course, the situations are slightly
different -- we were all working on the same piece of software. And, in
fact, the only times I've used peer review has been on doc teams (I'm
also using it to good effect now with another contractor at a client
site) who are documenting the same software.

Still, I found it pretty effective. You just have to make sure you
make time in the schedule for review. Easier said than done, I know,
but not impossible...

The writers working for me (I subcontract a bit of work) all know that
they're going to have to write to my standards, and the fastest way to
that is peer review, right now.

Bonni Graham
Manual Labour