Use of the word 'Diagnostics'

Subject: Use of the word 'Diagnostics'
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 11:31:43 PST

[NOTE: I have received 2 e-mails from the listserver telling me
that this identical mail has already been sent (although I don't
see how -- and I tried only once to send it). The bounce message
suggested that I add some note of explanation at the beginning of
this message. La voici.]

Kat has suggested (I paraphrase because I get the List in digest)
that just 'Diagnostics' "seems clear enough" for some med. tech.
software program self-analysis.

Sorry, I disagree. In the medical field, 'diagnostics' has other
meanings than in the computer field. A med. tech. might think a
diagnostic has to do with in-vitro assays of blood or other tissue.
Pick a term that shows (1) it's for the computer software and
(2) it checks for errors in same.

doug_montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com