Re: PET PEEVE #3148

Subject: Re: PET PEEVE #3148
From: David Demyan <concord -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 15:02:08 -0700

Bob Morse wrote:

>Does anyone else get as aggravated as I do when browsing
>want ads for tech-writer positions, to find prospective
>employers specifying the brands/models of software tools as
>REQUIREMENTS for the positions?
(snip)

In the real world of the 90's, companies don't want to waste
even a day on such frivolities as training. And they have
found, through experience, that if they hire someone who has
experience in the tools they use, they avoid many problems.
Example: a new hire with PageMaker experience tries to talk
the boss into making a switch as soon as they are hired. The
company may feel they have excellent reasons for establishing
the tools they use and would not want to switch because the
new kid on the block thinks it would be a better tool.

What I am seeing in contract job requisitions is that, when
the job market is tight, the client is more flexible. When
there are plenty of candidates to choose from, they'll
insist on getting the exact mix of experience they feel they
need.

Dave Demyan *** Mendem Concord, Inc.
(908) 753-8500 *** One Mountain Blvd.
concord -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com *** Warren, NJ 07059
FAX: (908) 754-8224