JOB DESCRIPTION (Contract): Mountain View, CA

Subject: JOB DESCRIPTION (Contract): Mountain View, CA
From: Nancy Hoft <itech -at- MV -dot- MV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 07:29:29 -0400

Hello!

Here is brief description of a contract position for a senior-level
technical writer with lots of technical saavy, online documentation
experience, and excellent writing and people skills. I provide a
brief description and some terse technical requirements here.

If you meet _most_ of the technical requirements, fax me a copy of
your resume ASAP. I'll review it and get back to you if we're
interested in pursuing you as a candidate. We're being highly
selective because we're working on an insane deadline and with
a product that is technically very difficult to learn (it's
taken 4 senior writers each a month or more to learn)--hence the
need for a stellar performer who wants to do some cool stuff
relating to the WWW.

Begin Date: ASAP
Duration: Approximately 3 months
Hourly Rate: To Be Determined

In this contract you develop a web cluster for a new internal
application called the Name and Address Registry (NAR).
The web cluster you design will be an interactive, online
presentation using the HyperText Markup Language (HTML).
Your audience is two-fold:

- Non-technical but credit-savvy users who are concerned with
NAR data and its accuracy
- Technical users such as database administrators and system
administrators who need to keep NAR up and running so that
the data is always current and accurate

We envision two tracks in the web cluster, both of which
are accessible from a single home page and which explore NAR
from a conceptual level: business concepts and technical concepts.

SKILLS

WANTED: Someone who's up beat, enthusiastic, able to work
independently, is comfortable extracting information
from busy technical people, is a WICKED-FAST learner
and is a team player!

- 5+ years experience as a technical writer
- 2+ years of experience creating hypertext-based documentation
- UNIX
- UNIX-based text editor exerience: vi, emacs, or textedit
- FrameMaker
- C++ (we don't want a programmer, but you should be
familiar with C++ syntax)
- HTML 2.0
- NCSA Mosaic
- Relational database (Oracle or Sybase)
- OOPs
- Experience creating graphics in FrameMaker
- Experience with SCCS

TO APPLY:

Fax your resume to me, Nancy Hoft, Consulting Documentation Manager, at
508.442.1599. (The fax is in Massachusetts even though I'm hiring for a
California position.)