Re: Re. Certification problems

Subject: Re: Re. Certification problems
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 16:10:00 -0600

Note: I've confirmed this opinion with two dentists, one optometrist,
and two M.D.'s. I've heard comparable tales from lawyers, but not
engineers.

I think you'll find the reason you haven't heard about this from engineers is
that the certification is not yet mandatory in all engineering fields, as
opposed to the other fields you mentioned. Engineers don't have to have the
initials in order to work, so if the certifying organization tried to prevent
them from working, they could simply drop the initials and still get work.

And that's the rub. If it isn't mandatory, then it doesn't serve one of the
purposes proposed for it, that of getting the incompetant writers out of the
profession. If it *is* mandatory, then we have given over a piece of our freedom
to a collection of bureaucrats. And they rarely settle for just a small piece.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124