Re. Certification problems

Subject: Re. Certification problems
From: Sharon Rosenthal/MANUGISTICS <manu!manu -dot- com!Sharon_Rosenthal -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 11:13:08 EDT

It is true about lawyers. They cannot practice law in most states unless they
take a complete state bar exam (two to three days of testing, not to mention
studying) or, in some states, a lawyers' exam. It does not matter how long you
have been practicing in another state. This system is set up specifically to
prevent lawyers from practicing in states that are overpopulated with lawyers.
The states that are the easiest to get into are the ones that need the
lawyers. Some would say that it is set up to make sure that practicing lawyers
are familiar with the laws of that state. But no good lawyer would do any work
without adequate research. Since there are plenty of bad attorneys who passed
the bar exam in their states (you know who you are), bar exams test nothing but
how well a person takes a bar exam.

I am not sure that this is a real reason not to be certified. Certification
does ensure a minimum competency. I'm not sure on which side of the fence I
sit for tech writers. I do like the apprentice idea.

TTFN
Sharon Rosenthal
Rockville, MD
sharon_rosenthal @manu.com