Re: "Such as" incorrect?

Subject: Re: "Such as" incorrect?
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 12:41:25 MDT

Dan asks:

>An English professor once explained to me why the phrase "nouns such as
>noun, noun, noun" was incorrect and "such nouns as noun, noun, noun" was
>correct.

>Can anyone here grasp the difference and explain it to me?

According to Am. Heritage (online), the phrasal construction "such as ___"
is an idiom. Perhaps what your English professor meant was that, used
properly, "such" should be an adjective here modifying the noun "noun."
I haven't been able to find any references in CMoS or elsewhere concerning an
ironclad rule here. I guess the real question is this: are all idioms off
limits in formal writing?

Any bites?

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce