Re: Modems

Subject: Re: Modems
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 22:28:48 PDT

On Mon, 17 Jul 1995 14:06:00 -0400 you wrote:

>For those of you who don't shop for computer stuff often, 14,400 modems
>(with good comm software) are readily available for under $100. Savings in
>time and online service costs more than justify the expenditure (plus, you
>can write it off if you're clever;)).

Savings in online services with faster modems varies. CI$ charges more for
high-speed access. In fact, last time I priced CI$ (not for me, for a study I
was preparing), 9600 baud access, at four times the speed of 2400, was EXACTLY
four times the per-minute or per-hour cost of access to the 2400 lines. If it
weren't for the minimal advantage provided by V.42/V.42bis, there would be no
online-charges savings whatsoever.

Whether or not AOL (the provider-du-discussion-du-jour, pardon my French, in
these parts) does the same, I can't say. Some of these big outfits don't even
have anything greater than 9600 available in some areas.

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446